In this post, lets talk about your core and abdominals, and which ab exercises are most effective for getting a rock solid core... so says San Diego State University!
For reference, this anatomical image shows you some of the ab muscles will be talking about. Note: it doesn’t show your deeper core muscles.
OK, here we go!
Here's 30 core exercises to hit your core from different angles. Keep in mind that most of these can be done at home. No excuses!
1. The Plank is one of the most effective exercises for working towards a flat stomach and
revealing your six-pack abs. Not only does it strengthen the abdominal muscles, but also works the back and the hips.
2. The Bicycle Stomach Crunch method is an exercise that has been featured on The Flat
Stomach Blog before because it is ranked as the number one abdominal exercise for building six pack abs.
3. A study at San Diego State University compared 13 different abdominal exercises and found that the Reverse Stomach Crunch method is one of the best for the abdominal muscles and obliques.
4. The Vertical Leg Crunch is similar to the traditional stomach crunch however with the vertical crunch the legs are involved and the exercise has an emphasis on the upper abdominals.
5. The Exercise Ball or Swiss Ball is an excellent tool to strengthen the abs and comes out at number three for working the abdominals.
6. Leg lifts There are many different names given to this stomach crunch exercise; the knee lift, roman’s chair, captain’s chair and leg lift to name a few.
7. The Torso Track method is ranked in the San Diego State University abdominal exercise study and is considered one of the toughest flat stomach exercises.
8. The Long Arm Crunch is ranked 6 in the San Diego State University abdominal exercise study and has an emphasis on the upper abdominals.
9. The Hanging Straight Leg Raise is part of the gold medal abs workout. The gold medal abs are a series of ab workouts developed by Olympic trainers
10. The Toe Touch is the second exercise in the gold medal abs workout. The gold medal abs are a series of ab workouts developed by Olympic trainers.
11. The Sprinter is the third exercise in the gold medal abs workout. The sprinter is very similar to the bicycle crunch except that the hands are not behind the head
12. The Straight Leg Oblique exercise will work the lower abs as well as the obliques.
13. Using the Ab Machine is much like doing a sit-up or a crunch.
14. The Alternating Heel Touch is a great exercise for working the obliques as well as building your core strength.
15. The Walking Lunge Plate Twist is part of the gold medal abs workout. This exercise targets the entire core as well as working the legs.
16. The Superman exercise is part of the gold medal abs workout. It targets the lower back as well as the abs.
17. The Bar Crunch exercise is part of the gold medal abs workout and has an emphasis on the upper abs.
18. The Hammer Toss is exercise 8 of the gold medal abs workout. This exercise works the entire abdomen as well as the legs.
19. The Oblique Crunch will obviously work out the obliques but also the upper abdominals.
20. The Decline Crunch works the entire abdominal core. You will need to use a workout bench that declines.
21. The Ab Roller exercise is a good exercise for not only working the abdominals but also the lower back and the shoulders.
22. The Dumbbell Side Bend works out the obliques. You will need to use a dumbbell with some weights or a heavy weight plate to perform this exercise.
23. The Tubing Pull exercise is ranked in the San Diego State University abdominal exercise study and is a good exercise for focusing on the upper abdominal area.
24. The Ab Rocker exercise is ranked in the San Diego State University abdominal exercise study and uses the ab rocker machine to work the entire core.
25. The Side Bridge is a simple exercise for the abs that can be performed without any special equipment.
26. The V Crunch on the Bosu trainer is an advanced abs exercise that works the entire core.
27. This exercise is the Trunk Rotation with body bar. It works the abs and the obliques and also increases torso mobility.
28. The Cobra stomach exercise is taken from the yoga cobra pose.
29. The Double Crunch on the workout bench will work the entire core. You will need a workout bench to perform the exercise.
30. The wicked wiper is one of the hardest core exercise, it works the entire core.
Challenge: Choose 10 exercises form the list and do each for 25 reps. Complete this every other day for 10 days.
Let me know what you think!